Banana and Buckwheat Muffins with Coffee Glaze (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
Truth be told, I was skeptical at first about making these...but a neighbor was desperate to find a gluten-free and vegan breakfast option. Deeply spiced and dense, these gluten-free and vegan buckwheat banana muffins were a definite winner.
This recipe makes about 12 medium-sized muffins
1 ¾ cups buckwheat flour
⅓ cup coconut sugar
2 heaping teaspoons cinnamon
2 heaping teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
4 large, very ripe bananas, mashed
⅓ cup (75 ml) light flavored olive oil, coconut oil (in liquid form) or hazelnut oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients and mix well
- Add mashed bananas and oil and mix to combine
- Scoop into a muffin tin (lined with papers). Each cup can be filled to slightly mounded
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until tops are crispy
- Allow to Cool for 10 minutes and then enjoy!
For the glaze (which is completely optional of course), I mixed about a half cup of powdered sugar with a teaspoon of strong, black coffee. Mix the two together (adding either more powdered sugar if the glaze is too thin or more coffee if the glaze is too thick). The coffee paired with the buckwheat and banana, creates an almost aromatic flavor.